We become complacent at our peril. This time we were very lucky.

It’s all too easy to take advantage of our extension cords and load up every available socket with a plug. Especially this time of year when you have extra things in your home that need a power source like electric heaters and holiday lights.

However, experts say this can be very dangerous if you’re unaware of how to properly use your extension cord.

Power strips and/or extension cords are long electrical cords that have multiple plugs. Even though these cords might have a bunch of extra sockets, it doesn’t mean that your cord can safely supply power to all of those outlets.

The Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI) says that extension cords should only be a temporary solution and are not meant to be used long-term.

This is because your cord can rapidly deteriorate over time and can cause a dangerous electric shock or even a fire hazard.

One thing you should never EVER plug into a power strip is a space heater, according to the Umatilla County Fire District #1.

“These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow, ” the fire district stated in a Facebook post.

In fact, the National Fire Protection Association reported that 32 percent of home heating fires involved space heaters and that 79 percent of fatal home heating fire also involved space heaters.

Here are some other important tips that the ESFI wants you to know about power strips and extension cords:

Never overload your cords.

Never cover your cord. This will prevent heat from escaping and can cause a fire.

Never run your cords through water or snow.

Never run these cord through walls, doorways, ceilings, or cords.

Check to see if your cord is for indoor or outdoor use.

Make sure what you’re plugging in has a wattage rating that is compatible with the cord’s wattage rating. Never use a cord with a lower wattage rating.

If your cord feels hot or damaged unplug it and don’t touch it. You can easily be burned or shocked.

Never force a plug into an outlet that doesn’t fit

Only use extension cords with polarized or three-prong plugs

Only use extension cords that are approved by an independent testing lab. These include Underwriters Laboratories (UL), ETL-SEMKO (ETL) or Canadian Standards Association (CSA)

Keep your family safe by abiding by these safety tips. These mistakes are easily avoidable and can be the difference between life and death.

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

Source: esfi.org

Fire closes West Somerset Free Press office

The West Somerset Free Press’s head office in Williton is closed after a fire there in the early hours on Monday morning.

Fire at National Trust's Clandon Park

‘300 years of history go up in flames’ as twelve fire engines and 60 firefighters try to save 18th-century mansion hit by blaze.

Faulty Whirlpool Dryer blamed for deaths

Electricals Giant Whirlpool is facing fresh pressure to recall millions of tumble dryers, after an inquest found a faulty machine was responsible for a fire that killed two men.